Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rest & Retreat

I had a sweet weekend retreat at my favorite little place in Pretoria North, Mohale Rest & Retreat.  Wanted to share this poem that particularly touched my heart & soul...

"For Solitude" by John O'Donohue

May you recognize in your life the presence,
Power and light of your soul.

May you realize that you are never alone,
That your soul in its brightness and belonging
Connects you intimately with the rhythm of the universe.

May you have respect for your individuality and difference.

May you realize that the shape of your soul is unique,
That you have a special destiny here,
That behind the facade of your life
There is something beautiful and eternal happening.

May you learn to see yourself
With the same delight,
Pride and expectation
With which God sees you in every moment.

Excerpted from:  To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings by John O’Donohue (Doubleday, 2008)

I loved the poet's reminder that no one is part of a solitary story -- we are all part of a bigger picture than we can see.  I loved the glimpse of our lives being just a facade for something beautiful and eternal going on, often behind the scenes.  And it brought hope & joy to my heart to read that last stanza.  Like my parents, God loves to show me off!  It's amazing that "in every moment" God sees us with delight and pride.  

Amen!

No comments: