Saturday, January 20, 2007

Justice and Football

These are the two big things on my mind right now...

Justice issues seem to be pretty inescapable, considering that I work in a neighborhood that looks pretty much the same as it did on August 30, 2005 and all except 2-3% of its low-income majority African-American population have been unable to return to their homes.

Football because, well, I live in New Orleans and I'm from Chicago--how could it not be on my mind? Sometimes I think the New Orleans Saints are the only things keeping some of the residents here sane. Honestly, I have loved being on both sides of the story having ties to the Big Easy and the Windy City. There's no question who I'm cheering for (sorry Bears fans) but I've enjoyed reading and hearing the New Orleans media accounts of my home-city. One of my favorite blurbs so far, written by Times-Picayune columnist Chris Rose upon his arrival to Chicago, "My fancy downtown hotel has a small plasma display screen in the elevator that shows the weather forecast to help you plan your day.When I checked in Thursday, it read: Partly Cloudy, 25/13. Partly cloudy, I'll say. If Sherman-Williams made an exterior paint the color of the Chicago sky this week, it would be called January Suicide, something from the upscale Boutique Bereavement collection.Much worse was the "25/13" part. That's a football score, not a weather forecast. What kind of human being would live in these kinds of conditions?" Oh Chris, if only you knew... He goes on to make another major faux pas. Admittedly, the Saints professional record has been nothing stellar and this is their first appearance this far into the playoffs in their 40 year franchise history. But Mr. Rose made the mistake of terming it "the sorriest franchise in sports history." It was all I could do to hold myself back from falling out of my chair. I am willing to go on the record claiming that title for my beloved Chicago Cubs--who haven't won a World Series since 1908. In fact that date, 1908, has been ingrained in my psyche since I was a little girl. I'm willing to admit that I can share in the pain of Saints fans, which is perhaps why I'm excited to see them beat the Bears tomorrow, but let's just be clear about who's really the WORST.

Read the full Chris Rose articles here: Article 1 and Article 2. And one more article to prove my point.

No comments: